Greenlight Networks was founded in 2011. Initially, we provided ultra high-speed Internet service to apartments. In June 2012, we received approvals from the New York State Public Service Commission that allowed us to extend our fiber-optic network directly to homes and businesses.
Yes, much faster! Our network will deliver internet speeds of up to 2 gigabits per second. That’s more than 100 times faster than what most americans have access to today. Our standard service is up to 500 megabits per second for downloads and up to 500 megabits per second for uploads—that’s over 25 times faster than what most americans have access to today!
We have several Greenlight Districts that currently have service and several Greenlight Districts where we are planning upcoming construction. Click here to find out what status your Greenlight District is in.
Greenlight district is a grouping of houses, apartments and businesses selected by the Greenlight Networks team with shared or adjacent geographical and infrastructural boundaries, neighborhood association boundaries and utility pole pathways among other things. Greenlight districts represent our approach to organizing and managing the expansion and construction of network infrastructure essential for connecting homes to our fiber-optic internet.
The best way is to get your neighbors to sign-up for our service. Check out our Community Advocate Tool Kit for ways to bring Greenlight to your neighborhood faster. You can also send an email to our sales team at email@example.com to request additional tools like door hangers to pass along or if you’d like us to participate in neighborhood events.
As of 11/26/18, Greenlight Networks no longer requires prospective customers to put down a $10.00 deposit when placing their order or pre-order for service. If you have paid a $10.00 deposit, it will automatically be applied to your first month’s bill once you have been fully installed. If you have paid a $10.00 deposit and canceled your order or pre-order, you will be refunded your $10.00 deposit.
For residential service, contracts are not required.
Articles are being published about the benefits of having one of the newer routers and we here at Greenlight Networks think it best to upgrade, otherwise you may not get the speed you’re paying for! There are other benefits to purchasing a newer router as well, such as security upgrades, and range upgrades! Please check out this Wall Street Journal article for more information about why it is important to upgrade and our list of Recommended Routers.
- Since there are so many free email alternatives available, we do not provide email accounts. Gmail, outlook.com, Yahoo!, and others provide great service for free, and you do not get tied to your ISP.
- For step by step video instructions on switching to a free email provider, click here to watch.
- To watch your favorite shows, movies and more, you will need to use a streaming device and a streaming provider. Your fast internet speeds will enhance your streaming experience, allowing you to view your shows with no buffering or lag time.
- Learn more about cutting the cord, streaming options, and why you should cut the cord from cable.
A static IP address is a fixed address that is assigned manually to a device on the network. They are used in situations where the IP address should never change. Most people do not need a static IP, it will not affect your basic Internet needs such as emailing, streaming, or browsing. There are certain situations where you may require a static IP such as:
- You have a gaming console, play peer-to-peer gaming and are having Network Address Translation (NAT) error messages.
- You are set up with home automation and have smart devices you control over the Internet.
- You own a business and have email or chat servers, database servers, network equipment or a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- You have cameras and local Network Video Recorders (NVR)s.
*Cost is $10 per static address
We suggest you contact them no sooner than the day after your in-home installation. This will help you to make sure your services are not disconnected with them before your service with us starts. Make sure you transfer your email address book if you have your email through that provider.
If a new customer moves into a house that has already been installed with Greenlight they are considered ONT Only customers. In order for these customers to activate the service, they would need to perform a self-install: Greenlight Networks Self-Install Guide
Yes, you can! You can put your service on hold for up to 6/9 months. There is a one-time hold fee of $25 that will appear on your next invoice, and there is no fee to re-activate the service.
Our expansion in other markets does not have an impact on our construction in Rochester. Through our joint venture with LeChase construction, we will be working with local contractors in each market to build our fiber-optic network in both areas simultaneously.